Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Recipe



It's food Friday again everyone! I have a few things this week. Some of you may have read already but for those who didn't I tried the Weight Watchers Berries 'n' Cream yogurt for 1 point and it was AMAZING! Sweet, light and tasting like a dessert yet the fiber in it helps make it filling still. Anyone else tried it?

Last night for dinner we tried the Pulled Barbecue Chicken Wrap that I had posted previously. It was a trifecta winner our house. We did not use the onion flakes since no one in our house like onions but that was the only thing we changed. I won't lie, as it was cooking the sauce smelled horrible to me and I was cringing at trying it. But I am committed to being more open and if I hadn't been I would have missed something amazing! It is not sweet or spicy, just the right balance of the two and the crunch of the cold lettuce with it delights your mouth. The only thing I would say is that I tried putting as much chicken in my tortilla as they said and it was way too much. I had two smaller tortilla's instead. With three of us eating I would say in the future that I will only make 2 three ounce chicken breast and not 3 of them. I would love to hear if anyone else tries it what they thought!

The recipe this week is Cashew Chicken. I got this again from www.weightwatchers.com. Can you tell we like chicken in our house?

2tsp peanut oil
2 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper, or more to taste
1 1/2 cup(s) fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce, or more to taste
2 medium stalk(s) celery, chopped
8 oz canned bamboo shoots, drained
8 oz canned water chestnuts, sliced, drained
1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
2 cup(s) cooked white rice, kept hot
1 3/4 oz dry-roasted cashews, chopped (about 6 tbsp)

1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and add to skillet.
Cook until browned on all sides, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes.

2. Add 1 cup broth, soy sauce, celery, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts to chicken and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.

3. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/2 cup of broth; add to skillet and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring constantly, about a minute.

4. To serve, divide rice among 4 shallowe dishes. Spoon chicken mixture onto rice and sprinkle with cashews. Yields about 1 cup of chicken, 1/2 cup of rice and 1 1/2 tablespoons of cashews per serving.

They also note that you can add 2 cups of chopped fresh baby bok choy in place of the bamboo shoots and water chestnuts. The tender greens will cook with the chicken in 5 minutes.

Isn't your mouth watering already?

No comments:

Post a Comment