Monday, January 18, 2010

Feed a Cold (and a recipe)

My daughter came home on Saturday saying she didn't feel good. I thought that it was from the sleepover the night before and didn't think anything of it. Then the fever started and the no eating. When she cut a shopping trip done early and passed on seeing "New Moon" (her fave movie!) one more time I knew she was sick.

I was tired but I had walked three dogs, shopped, seen a movie and was running with errands until 10pm. Seemed normal to me. I got up yesterday feeling very tired and achy. Much to my dogs dismay I passed on walking them in favor of laying around most of the day. I don't lay around.. it bores me. But I pulled my big furry blanket to the couch and lay there all day long. (all right.. I bathed the dogs but that was it)I was SOOOOOO hungry all day long but yet nothing was making me feel better. I ate a ton of stuff! They say feed a cold and let me tell you I did. I even broke my 2 month no caffeine rule and had some cola. It bothers me that this happened but as Sid has pointed out I don't think average people worry about stuff like this. As long as I don't do it all the time I will be okay. I am making good progress and I am allowed to indulge sometimes.. especially when I don't feel good.

The fever hit today but I will be back on track with eating and I WILL walk tonight. It won't be a race but something is better than nothing.

And now for the recipe! This sounds so scrumptious! I got if off the Weight Watchers website. If you make it let me know how it is. It is on my list of things to try!

Apple Braised Chicken

2 tsp vegetable oil
1 lb uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (4 four oz pieces)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 large onion sliced
2 medium apples, firm, cored and sliced
1 c apple cider
1 c fat-free chicken broth
1/2 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp cornstarch

1. In a large, heavy bottomed skillet, warm oil over high heat. Toss chicken with flour in a medium bowl, patting off excess. Place chicken in skillet and brown well on both sides. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.

2. Reduce stove temperature to low and add onion to skillet. Saute, stirring often, until onion is tender and lightly browned.

3. Stir in apples, cider, chicken broth, salt ginger and chicken. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken, onions and apples to a serving dish.

4. In a small bowl, whisk together the corn starch and 2-3 tablespoons of pan juices. Combine cornstarch mixture with remaining pan juices, whisking constantly. Simmer for one minute. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.

Yields 1 chicken breast and about 3/4 cup of apple-onion mix per person. (5 points)

Flavor Booster: Pears and chicken are an appealing combination. Substitute 2 ripe Bartlett or Comice pears, peeled, cored and diced for the apples, 1 cup sparking pear cider for the apple cider and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg for the ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment