Saturday, January 23, 2010

I've entered a weight loss competition- read my application!

Okay, so a magazine that I have a subscription for (That's Life for the Aussie followers) had advertised a competition on their website, looking for people that are wanting to lose weight. I thought there would be no harm in entering.... I showed CG my application, and asked her if I should share it on our blog, and she thought that was a great idea!!!

So, in an act of boldness, not only am I going to share my application letter with the blogging world, as well as the photos that I sent in.... That's the bold part... There are two photos in particular that I am so ashamed of (in that, how on earth did I ever allow myself to look like this), and two that I love (naturally they are head shots, not body shots!!!)...

The magazine is a mag that only publishes reader's stories, so it's pretty light hearted. The link to the comp is

http://www.thatslife.com.au/article.asp?ArticleID=2853&Pid=1
If anyone else enters, I'd love to see your applications too!!! Gives us a bit of an insight into what makes us tick I suppose.... Below is my application:

"Hi That's Life,

I was checking out the recent stories on your website and came across the article about you guys wanting to help people lose weight.

I'm a 34 year old single girl, who has battled with weight for what seems like forever. As a kid I would get picked on for being bigger than everyone else- ironic really, because when I look back on photos of when I was a kid, I think I looked pretty normal!!!

About eight years ago or so, I went to Weight Watcher's to lose weight. I was about 83kg when I went there, and was feeling pretty bad about myself. I lost 13 kgs and was a size 10-12, and wearing the clothes I fit into when I was 18 and 21 years old!!! A great feeling.... I was 70kg and only 2kg off what Weight Watcher's told me was the top of the weight range for my height (about 165cm)- those extra 2kg just wouldn't come off, so I gave up Weight Watchers. The last seven or so years have been a journey of putting all that weight on, plus more. In October 2009, I weighed in at 100.1 kgs and realised it was time to do something. I have been a size 18 for at least four to five years. (Not to mention that my father has been recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and had to have his little toe removed- I really don't want that to happen to me)....

I didn't really want to do fad diets (I remember in high school only eating apples for a few weeks to make a few kilos budge- what on earth was I thinking??), and I don't have much money, so can't afford to do any of the fancy weight loss clubs or things like 'lite n easy'. So I decided to go it alone.

I've found a personal trainer who does group training sessions, and if I pay for five I get one free. At $10 a class, they're about as much as I can afford. I've also started walking, and am at a stage where I can run for part of that, each morning. I am now 93kg and a size 16.

I've used facebook to gain encouragement from a wide range of people- those that know me well and see me all the time, to those that I haven't seen in 20 years or so!!! Through that I have discovered a large amount of people that also want to lose weight, and one in particular that wanted to go on the journey with me. She lives in the USA, where I was an exchange student- we knew each other in high school from when I was there (18.5 years ago!!!)... We've started a blog together that we write about our challenges and successes in, and we have a small following of friends through that too.

But, my problem has been that although over the years I have kept up some activity (mostly dance classes), I over eat, and I eat bad things, and I blame a busy lifestyle on the fast foods that I put down my throat. I'm much better now, but I am only losing about 200 or 300 grams a week, and would really like to be losing more. On top of that, I am terrified that it's only a matter of time until I fall off the bandwagon again.... I really do not want to fail this time- so all the help I can get will be of benefit to me- this I am certain of.

I am single, and have been since 2001 (with the exception of a few non serious relationships here and there), and I know that it's my own image issues that have been in the way of me meeting someone special. I'm not getting any younger, and I don't want to end up and old spinster because I battled with the fact that I am fat my whole life (and who would love a fat person, right?)....

Anyway- I have attached a picture of me- one in my swimsuit, that is from this summer, and was taken as my 'before' shot (even though this is actually after I'd lost 6 kg!!), and I've put in a headshot. People tell me that I am pretty- but it's 'pretty' hard to believe that when all you see in yourself are the rolls around your middle, and tree trunk legs....

I'd love to hear back from you. I don't know what you have in mind for the winners of this competition. But as long as it doesn't cost me much money, and it's a plan that can fit in with a single person's lifestyle, I'd be really appreciative for the chance to give it a go! Hope to hear from you."

So I'll let you know if I am contacted by That's Life...... All the help and support I/we can get, is only going to make this journey an easier one.... and I think that when we all look back on this time, it will be with smiles, and with happy memories.... because we did this together.... I think it's even more incentive to make this journey a life long one, rather than a quick fix one... The support and happy memories and the good feeling about this journey are what's going to help embed it as a journey that is going to give us life long results.... "FOREVER".

-Sid-

No comments:

Post a Comment